The Resource The calculating stars
- The calculating stars
- Statement of responsibility
- Mary Robinette Kowal
- trueJewish women
- trueScience fiction
- trueSpace colonies
- Space colonies -- Fiction
- trueSpace exploration
- trueSurvival (after disaster)
- Winners circle
- Women astronauts -- Fiction
- trueWomen pilots
- trueWomen's role
- trueWomen astronauts
- Alternative histories (Fiction)
- trueClimate change
- On a cold spring night in 1952, a huge meteorite fell to earth and obliterated much of the east coast of the United States, including Washington D.C. The ensuing climate cataclysm will soon render the earth inhospitable for humanity, as the last such meteorite did for the dinosaurs. This looming threat calls for a radically accelerated effort to colonize space, and requires a much larger share of humanity to take part in the process. Elma York's experience as a WASP pilot and mathematician earns her a place in the International Aerospace Coalition's attempts to put man on the moon, as a calculator. But with so many skilled and experienced women pilots and scientists involved with the program, it doesn't take long before Elma begins to wonder why they can't go into space, too. Elma's drive to become the first Lady Astronaut is so strong that even the most dearly held conventions of society may not stand a chance against her
- Hugo Award for Best Novel, 2019.
- Library Journal Best Books, 2018.
- Locus Award for Best Science Fiction Novel, 2019.
- Nebula Award for Best Novel, 2018.
- RUSA Reading List, 2019.
- Sidewise Awards for Alternate History, 2018.
- Cataloging source
- no index present
- Literary form
- Nature of contents
- Series statement
- Lady astronaut novel
- Series volume
- Target audience
ContextContext of The calculating stars
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work The calculating stars
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.randwick.nsw.gov.au/resource/NEJn2kXKNAI/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.randwick.nsw.gov.au/resource/NEJn2kXKNAI/">The calculating stars</a></span> - <span property="potentialAction" typeOf="OrganizeAction"><span property="agent" typeof="LibrarySystem http://library.link/vocab/LibrarySystem" resource="http://link.randwick.nsw.gov.au/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="https://link.randwick.nsw.gov.au/">Randwick City Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>