The Resource Carpentaria
- Statement of responsibility
- Alexis Wright
- Title variation
- trueLiterary fiction
- Queensland -- History -- Fiction
- trueMines and mineral resources
- trueCoastal towns
- trueAustralian fiction
- trueStorytelling in literature
- trueEccentrics and eccentricities
- trueRace relations
- truePolitical science
- trueReligious fanatics
- Carpentaria, Gulf of (N.T. and Qld.) -- Fiction
- trueSocial classes and family
- Land tenure -- Australia -- Fiction
- trueNatural disasters
- Aboriginal Australians -- Folklore -- Fiction
- trueAustralia -- Race relations
- trueKinship-based society
- Centred on the precariously settled coastal town of Desperance, a township shaped by cyclones, monsoonal floods and a river that spurns human endeavour with its incomprehensible tides, it tells the story of the powerful Phantom family. Led by Norm Phantom, the great fish-embalming king of time, legendary storyteller, suspected murderer and leader of the Pricklebush people, the Phantoms battle to retain sovereignty over a country where "legends and ghosts live side by side". Sovereignty depends on stories. The official version of the region's history makes no mention of the Phantoms or the Great War of the Dump that burst the Pricklebush people apart and set Eastsider against Westsider. Nor does it mention the old tribal tensions that resurfaced and the search for lost ancestral stories that lay claim to traditional ownership
- Australian Book Industry Awards, Literary Fiction Book of the Year, 2007.
- Australian Literature Society Gold Medal, 2007.
- Miles Franklin Award, 2007.
- Queensland Premier's Literary Awards, Fiction Book Award, 2007.
- Victorian Premier's Literary Awards, Vance Palmer Prize for Fiction, 2007.
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- Literary form
- Target audience
ContextContext of Carpentaria
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Carpentaria
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.randwick.nsw.gov.au/resource/TtzThTTih3o/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.randwick.nsw.gov.au/resource/TtzThTTih3o/">Carpentaria</a></span> - <span property="potentialAction" typeOf="OrganizeAction"><span property="agent" typeof="LibrarySystem http://library.link/vocab/LibrarySystem" resource="http://link.randwick.nsw.gov.au/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.randwick.nsw.gov.au/">Randwick City Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>