The Resource Behind the Beautiful Forevers
- Behind the Beautiful Forevers
- Statement of responsibility
- Katherine Boo
- WINNER OF THE 2012 LA TIMES BOOK PRIZE WINNER OF THE 2012 US NATIONAL BOOK AWARD FOR NONFICTION SHORTLISTED FOR THE 2013 PULITZER PRIZE From Pulitzer Prize-winner Katherine Boo comes a landmark work of narrative nonfiction that tells the dramatic and sometimes heartbreaking story of families striving toward a better life in one of the world's most lively but treacherous cities. Annawadi is a makeshift settlement in the shadow of luxury hotels near the Mumbai airport and, as India starts to prosper, Annawadians are electric with hope. Abdul, a reflective and enterprising Muslim teenager, sees 'a fortune beyond counting' in the recyclable garbage that richer people throw away. Asha, a woman of formidable wit and deep scars from a childhood in rural poverty, has identified an alternate route to the middle class: political corruption. With a little luck, her sensitive, beautiful daughter — Annawadi's 'most-everything girl' — will soon become its first female college graduate. And even the poorest Annawadians, like Kalu, a 15-year-old scrap-metal thief, believe themselves inching closer to the good lives and good times they call 'the full enjoy'. But then Abdul the garbage sorter is falsely accused in a shocking tragedy; terror and a global recession rock the city; and suppressed tensions over religion, caste, sex, power, and economic envy turn brutal. As the tenderest individual hopes intersect with the greatest global truths, the true contours of a competitive age are revealed. And so, too, are the imaginations and courage of the people of Annawadi. With intelligence, humour, and deep insight into what connects human beings in an era of tumultuous change, Behind the Beautiful Forevers carries the reader headlong into one of the 21st century's hidden worlds, and into the lives of people impossible to forget. PRAISE FOR KATHERINE BOO 'Boo's meticulous work is a must for India watchers, of course, but it is also a great example of the power of what used to be known as immersion journalism. And a cracking read.' The Age '[An] exquisitely accomplished first book.' The New York Times
- ALA Notable Book, 2013
- Library Journal Best Books, 2012.
- Los Angeles Times Book Prize for Current Interest, 2012.
- National Book Award for Nonfiction, 2012.
- New York Times Notable Book, 2012.
- School Library Journal Best Books: Best Adult Books 4 Teens, 2012.
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- Literary form
- non fiction
- Nature of contents
- Target audience
ContextContext of Behind the Beautiful Forevers
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Behind the Beautiful Forevers
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.randwick.nsw.gov.au/resource/H9gj4qaqRo8/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.randwick.nsw.gov.au/resource/H9gj4qaqRo8/">Behind the Beautiful Forevers</a></span> - <span property="potentialAction" typeOf="OrganizeAction"><span property="agent" typeof="LibrarySystem http://library.link/vocab/LibrarySystem" resource="http://link.randwick.nsw.gov.au/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.randwick.nsw.gov.au/">Randwick City Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>