The Resource In the Shadow of Blackbirds
- In the Shadow of Blackbirds
- Statement of responsibility
- Cat Winters
- trueHistorical fiction
- trueGhost stories
- trueSan Diego, California -- History -- 20th century
- trueSixteen-year-old girls
- true1910s -- 1910 -- 1919
- trueInfluenza Epidemic, 1918-1919
- trueWorld War I
- trueFirst World War era (1914-1918) -- 1914 -- 1918
- Young Adult Fiction
- trueTeenage girls
- trueWorld War I home front
- In 1918, the world seems on the verge of apocalypse. Americans roam the streets in gauze masks to ward off the deadly Spanish influenza, and the government ships young men to the front lines of a brutal war, creating an atmosphere of fear and confusion. Sixteen-year-old Mary Shelley Black watches as desperate mourners flock to séances and spirit photographers for comfort, but she herself has never believed in ghosts. During her bleakest moment, however, she's forced to rethink her entire way of looking at life and death, for her first love—a boy who died in battle—returns in spirit form. But what does he want from her?Featuring haunting archival early-twentieth-century photographs, this is a tense, romantic story set in a past that is eerily like our own time.Praise for In The Shadow of BlackbirdsSTARRED REVIEW "Winters's masterful debut novel is an impressively researched marriage of the tragedies of wartime, the 1918 flu epidemic, the contemporaneous Spiritualism craze, and a chilling love story and mystery."—Publishers Weekly, starred reviewSTARRED REVIEW "More than anything, this is a story of the breaking point between sanity and madness, delivered in a straightforward and welcoming teen voice."—Booklist, starred reviewSTARRED REVIEW "Winters deftly combines mystery, ghost story, historical fiction, and romance. Excellent pacing and deliciously creepy descriptions..."—School Library Journal, starred review"This engrossing combination of historical fiction, ghost story, psychological thriller, and straight-up whodunit moves between genres with stunning ease, maximizing the tropes of each to satisfying effect."—The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books"Winters strikes just the right balance between history and ghost story, neatly capturing the tenor of the times, as growing scientific inquiry collided with heightened spiritualist curiosity."—Kirkus Reviews"Mary Shelley is a likable, sympathetic heroine, and through her story, teen readers will get a glimpse of a fascinating time period, made all the more real by the haunting historic photographs that pepper the novel, from soldiers in trenches to policemen in gauze masks. Part romance, part mystery and part ghost story, In the Shadow of Blackbirds makes palpable a terrifying time that brought the horror of death into the homes of millions."—Bookpage"One of the creepiest (in a good way) covers of the season! What's inside, historical Y.A. set at the time of the Spanish influenza, is equally haunting."—The Atlantic WireCat Winter's debut novel is creepy good."—The Boston Globe"Romance fans will love Stephen's ghostly visits to Mary Shelley, confirming that their romance is as steamy as ever. Mystery lovers will enjoy the satisfactory resolution of the puzzle. Recommend this title to fans of Libba Bray's The Diviners."—VOYA"In this book, the passion of first love and the paranoia of the times are realistically and movingly rendered."—The Oregonian"Beautifully written and absolutely riveting. I enjoyed everything about this book."—The Statesman Journal
- School Library Journal Best Books, 2013.
- Westchester Fiction Award, 2014.
- YALSA Best Fiction for Young Adults, 2014.
- YALSA Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults, 2015.
- Cataloging source
- no index present
- Literary form
- Nature of contents
- Target audience
ContextContext of In the Shadow of Blackbirds
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work In the Shadow of Blackbirds
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.randwick.nsw.gov.au/resource/71hrS-irtDU/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.randwick.nsw.gov.au/resource/71hrS-irtDU/">In the Shadow of Blackbirds</a></span> - <span property="potentialAction" typeOf="OrganizeAction"><span property="agent" typeof="LibrarySystem http://library.link/vocab/LibrarySystem" resource="http://link.randwick.nsw.gov.au/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.randwick.nsw.gov.au/">Randwick City Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>