The Resource The Giver
- The Giver
- Statement of responsibility
- by Lois Lowry
- Young adult fiction
- trueScience fiction
- Individuality -- Juvenile fiction
- trueTwelve-year-old boys
- trueFar future
- Liberty -- Juvenile fiction
- trueComing-of-age stories
- trueDystopian fiction
- Social control -- Juvenile fiction
- Social prediction -- Juvenile fiction
- trueBooks to movies
- In a rigidly structured society where weaklings, dissenters and the aged are removed, and stirrings of individuality are nullified with drugs, children undergo special ceremonies annually until, after eleven years, they face the Ceremony of Twelve, when the Community of Elders assigns them the tasks which will take them through their adult life. But when Jonas is selected to be the Receiver of Memory, he discovers that the honour of selection is nothing compared to the loneliness and physical pain he must endure as he searches for a way to free his community from the spiritless life it has developed for its members
- Black-Eyed Susan Book Award (Maryland), Grades 6-9, 1995.
- Buckeye Children's Book Award (Ohio), Grades 6-8, 1997.
- Eliot Rosewater Indiana High School Book Award (Rosie Award), 1997.
- Garden State Teen Book Award (New Jersey), Fiction (Grades 6-8), 1996.
- Golden Archer Awards (Wisconsin): Middle/Jr. High, 1996.
- Golden Duck Awards: Hal Clement Award for Young Adult
- Golden Sower Award (Nebraska), Young Adult, 1995.
- Grand Canyon Reader Award (Arizona), Teen Book Category, 1995.
- Great Stone Face Children's Book Award (New Hampshire), 1996.
- Land of Enchantment Book Award (New Mexico), General category, 1997.
- Maine Student Book Award, 1995.
- Newbery Medal, 1994.
- Pennsylvania Young Reader's Choice Awards, Grades 3-8, 1995.
- Rebecca Caudill Young Reader's Book Award (Illinois), 1996.
- Sequoyah Book Awards (Oklahoma), Young Adult Books, 1996.
- Surrey Book of the Year Award (British Columbia), 1996.
- Virginia Readers' Choice Award for Middle School, 1996.
- William Allen White Children's Book Award (Kansas), 1996.
- Young Reader's Choice Award (Pacific Northwest), Senior, 1996.
- ALA Notable Children's Book, 1994
- Great American Read, 2018.
- Awards note
- Winner of the Newbery Medal.
- Cataloging source
- no index present
- Literary form
- Series statement
- The giver quartet
- Series volume
- bk. 1
- Target audience
ContextContext of The Giver
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work The Giver
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.randwick.nsw.gov.au/resource/4Je6GOjn4d8/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.randwick.nsw.gov.au/resource/4Je6GOjn4d8/">The Giver</a></span> - <span property="potentialAction" typeOf="OrganizeAction"><span property="agent" typeof="LibrarySystem http://library.link/vocab/LibrarySystem" resource="http://link.randwick.nsw.gov.au/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.randwick.nsw.gov.au/">Randwick City Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>